- 80 ml (⅓ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Spanish onions
- 2 grain-fed chickens
- 1 L (4 cups) long-grain rice
- 1.5 L (6 cups) chicken broth
- 30 g (1 packet) paella spices
- 600 g (1.3 lb.) tiger shrimp
- 600 g (1.3 lb.) squid, cut in rounds
- 1 kg (2.2 lb.) cleaned mussels
- 1 g (1 pinch) Spanish saffron
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 250 g (4 oz.) Spanish chorizo
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut each chicken into eight pieces.
- Mince the onions.
- In a skillet, bring the chicken broth, half the spice packet and the Spanish saffron to a simmer.
- In a paella pan (ideally), sauté the shrimp and squid. Season the chicken pieces with the other half of the paella spice packet, add them to the paella pan and sauté them.
- When the chicken is half-cooked, add the onions, sweat them and then add the rice. Mix everything together well.
- Add the broth and the chorizo, then cover. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven or cook over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- The paella is ready when the mussels open and the rice is tender.