Pan-seared Arctic char with roasted Jerusalem artichokes
- 300 g (10 oz.) Arctic char, skin-on (2 portions, approx. 150 g or 5 oz. each)
- 6 Jerusalem artichokes, washed and blanched
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) butter
- 125 ml (½ cup) crisp bacon, roughly chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) red wine vinegar
- On a cutting board, crush each Jerusalem artichoke with the palm of your hand. Heat the butter over medium heat in a skillet until it foams and add the crushed Jerusalem artichokes. Caramelize on each side. Set aside.
- Combine the bacon, oil and vinegar. Add the Jerusalem artichokes and set aside.
- Season the fish on both sides. In a nonstick skillet, heat some vegetable oil over high heat and place the fish in the pan, starting with the skin side. Cook until the skin is crisp, turn the fish and remove the skillet from the heat. Allow it to rest 1 minute and remove the fish from the skillet.
- Serve the fish with the Jerusalem artichoke/bacon mix.
- The Jerusalem artichokes can be replaced by fingerling potatoes.