CHINESE-STYLE BLACK PEPPER SNOW CRAB
- 1 live snow crab
- 90 ml (6 tbsp.) cracked black peppercorns
- 25 g (1 ½ tbsp.) butter
- 75 g (5 tbsp.) minced garlic
- 30 g (2 tbsp.) ginger, diced
- 6 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) cornstarch
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) water
- Minced green onions, to garnish
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) soy sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) white sugar
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp.) salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) white vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) oyster sauce
- Clean and cut the crab into pieces and pre-crack the claws.
- Coarsely grind the peppercorns in a pepper mill.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- In a frying pan, brown the butter, add the garlic, ginger and pepper. Sauté over medium heat until you can smell the aroma.
- Stir crab into mixture and sauté until crab is coloured.
- Add the prepared sauce, mix well and let cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce, first stir together the cornstarch and water, then add this slurry to the crab. Stir and allow to thicken.
- Serve in a serving platter, topped with minced green onions.